Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Behind the Formaldehyde Curtain,”(1998) is an informative essay written by Jessica Mitford, which explains the American embalming procedure.  Mitford develops the essay by explaining step by step the embalming process undertakers perform on deceased bodies.  Mitford’s purpose is to explain to others what goes on behind the scenes before a funeral is held.  Her intended audience is everyone, since we all will eventually have to experience some kind of burial process.

    As a self-admitting necrophobe, reading Mitford’s essay was a bit much to process and take in.  I literally felt sick while reading.  The embalming process to me has no logic. I have never had the desire to be buried or experience the embalming procedure.  It is not like the person who is dead knows what is going on anyway.  I try to avoid anything having to do with death, so having to read an assay based on corpses was quite morbid.

     The text reminds me why I try to avoid anything having to do with death.  I do not think I could ever partake in a career where dealing with dead bodies was a necessity . I really did not enjoy having to read this story, and I hope I will not have to in the immediate future.

No comments:

Post a Comment